Skalkaho Chapter 12: Bangkok, A Way Home

Benjamin Skalkaho had long wondered how to get home and now he knew several years were in store for him before he went home. He had to spend time with the Buddha priest of Wat Anur in order to complete his plan for the gold giving fuel from an enterprise laying somewhere in the jungle of the high plateau country near the village of the chief Samarn. 

So Bangkok, it was, and what path would he follow learning more of his craft with his friend and companion Mauli. His first task was to find an unassuming work in Bangkok. He first sought a wealthy rubber plantation on the edge of Bangkok nearer Wat Anur. There he found Bangkok-Chang LTD an old British founded rubber plantation from before the Second World War founded during the 19th century.

Skalkaho called it the BCP as an acronym for its name. The plantation owners were part Thai and part English. This story held together as he wanted a job as a plantation worker. It would be rare to find an educated Caucasian in these parts. The owners quickly hired both Skalkaho and Mauli. The plantation was run by Chang Jarunkool but Edith actually was the real boss as most family businesses are run. A big problem arose for Skalkaho when their daughter entered the room unannounced. She was irresistibly beautiful. European eyes, long flowing golden brown hair and an impish smile matching her teasing wit. Skalkaho had found Marias rival. There was no doubt his journey had taken an unexpected turn when first seeing Malee (Thai for beautiful flower) walking into the room during his brief interview with the Jarunkools'. She stopped in her tracks when she realized it was an important moment and Skalkaho was no accident. Both could not stop staring at each other. He had been in the jungle too long and Malee was that flower he saw on the high plateau. A Surge of emotion and purpose swept over his composure at her startled entrance. The parents knew something had happened but didn't know exactly what it was at that moment.

Skalkaho proposed he would learn the business first from the ground up with hopes of becoming a plantation workers manager at some time. Quickly, Edith and Chang agreed. He was hired. Mauli was also hired as they could see his devotion in his character. Later that evening, Skalkaho confided in Mauli about his feelings. That internal impression had taken over while seeing his new benefactors. He had the feeling or knowledge that somehow the people he just met were part of his journey but not the destination. Malee was a speedbump in his journey. Mauli listened to Skalkaho's gifted impressions which were typically spot on because he had drunk of that flower many weeks ago on the plateau. Malee had not stolen his heart but had refreshed Skalkaho's heart for Marias. Every turn for which Skalkaho would see Malee he would see Marias. What a problem Skalkaho had, he had to have Malee with him until he found Marias again. That was still a hard journey and a few years away from happening.

Malee was too precious to just dump when he found Marias and he had to live with that deception until years later. In the meantime, Malee would spend her precious life and time with him to no avail. How cruel would that be? An answer had to be found. His gift spoke up on this matter. A long night's sleep gave him the answer as his inner being taught him the solution.

Skalkaho was informed that he must tell Malee the whole story of his existence and his feelings towards her when they first met. He also needed to tell, he needed her for his quest to erase the darkness in his life and those who also suffer from the same plight. He needed to fall on his sword immediately before another day passed. In the morning, he spoke to Edith and Chang about arranging a time with their daughter just for talking. They seemed to know it was important to get out this of the way and they consented to his proposal for discussion with Malee.
   
Malee was told that same morning Skalkaho wanted to talk with her about important matters and her parents agreed to this time with her. The Jarunkools wanted to temper Melee’s heart before another moment allowed it to grow for Skalkaho. A time in the beautiful garden was set, Malee and Skalkaho sat down on a bench in the midst of this garden in plain sight of the parents sitting in the mansion's dining area.

Skalkaho began, “Malee I was stricken by your entrance yesterday, I knew your heart, your language, and your being before you could utter your few words. I know you feel the same as I do. You may ask how you could. I am here to tell you something happened to me that makes my insight possible. I drank of the flower of life. You are also that flower to me, but that gift is a means to conquer what is dark in this world. I need you to do conquer this and then my heart can be restored to the true one I love. Where does that leave you? I am sorry, I don't know. The story at this time does not see a satisfactory ending for either of us. If I die or Marias is destroyed then the story ends. Maria is the one who I have given my heart to from the beginning. She is the one that I'm seeking to rescue from the darkness. You are Marias until I accomplish that goal. You are my helpmate for that goal. All I promise is that you be the one until this task fails. It will fail only if I die or Marias is destroyed. All I promise is time with me. All you have to do is whether to agree to be with me or no. I know your mind and heart but I don't know your answer."

Malee talks in a very low tone staring into the eyes of Skalkaho. There is no flinching or downward countenance; "Skalkaho, you do know my heart, I do love you, I know that if I go with you I may lose you. Time with you is worth the risk of unhappiness. You have given me your truth which I cannot argue with. I had surrendered last evening before you could talk today the parents. I told my parents I would go with you if you asked."

Things have gotten extremely complicated with her answer. He had hoped she would come but didn't expect it to be agreed with so easily. Malee was that flower and she had the heart of Marias. Skalkaho was suddenly stricken a second-time in a few days. Now he had to face the parents.

The Jarunkools wanted to see Skalkaho that night. A messenger was sent to his room demanding an audience in the parlor of this Victorian mansion. Skalkaho explained to Mauli everything as was his custom to do so. Mauli only muttered at the prospects. Skalkaho entered the room with composure when his heart was racing off into the sublime. 

Chang began, "So you want our daughter without a promise? You think you can mangle her feelings like a vine wrapped around a tree. Who are you to think we will allow us to do this to our daughter? Don't talk, I'm just getting started! Okay, you talk".

Skalkaho was once again stunned for the third time in 24 hours. Chang had him in his mitts and Skalkaho squirmed. He fired at him for effect. It did its magic. Skalkaho unprepared began his little speech.

“I am stricken by your daughter. I have told her my intent and she agreed it was a terrible prospect because she proclaimed her love for me. I have nothing for her but my own self-centered interest but I too love her but cannot give her all my love unless my quest fails. For I too have promised myself for someone else. We seem to have a problem with this situation and I agree with you. I don't want to use her young age on my life without an end in sight that pleases your want for your daughter."

                                     Malee in her repose
Related image

It was agreed that Skalkaho would work another two years on the BCP before resuming his quest. Malee and he would remain, friends, and only friends so she may have a chance at life. But was that how it would work out? 


Mauli and Benjamin began to work the next day with nothing really settled. They were tossed onto a rubber harvesting crew checking the thousands of collection pots hung on each tree awaiting someone for emptying into a barrel. It was tedious and boring work but is the beginning of learning the business. He didn't even know how a plantation gets started from the rootstock. Here he was in the middle of it all and the next two years would teach him much.


Referencing Names:
Malee (Thailand Flower meaning)
Bangkok Chang Plantation (BCP)


Edith and Chang Jarunkool


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skalkaho Chapter 1: Blackleaf Camp

Skalkaho Chapter 7: Ecc. 3:6 A Time To Search

Skalkaho Chapter 5: The Rendezvous Breaks